Thursday, June 16, 2011

Do It Yourself – Feather Extensions



As promised here is how to do your own feather extensions!

You will need:
- scissors
- hair clip
- hair extension links ( got mine at a beauty supply store, but also sold online)
- bobby pin
- pliers
- feathers (I bought simple packs of various feathers at the craft store, but if I were to do this again, I would buy some online because the ones I got were shorter and way fluffy. I had to trim them down.)

 So first, cut feathers into size and shape you want.





Pick and gather as many as you wish into a cluster to have when ready. (make sure they fit under the extension link before settling). I chose 5, and wouldn't go more than 7 because they probably wouldn't fit in the link.


Choose where you want your feathers to go, and pick out very small section of hair. Separate rest of hair to keep out of your way.

 They sell tools you can buy to help bead the hair. But you can just use the pliers to mangle a bobby pin and make it your tool to feed the hair into the bead easily.
So you put your hair in bobby pin first, then feed the bobby pin through the link and hair will end up through it as well.

 Along with hair, insert feathers into link so the end come through. It should be about ¼ - ½ inches away from root of hair, so it doesn't feel too tight on your scalp, but fits in more naturally with the piece of hair.

 Once ready to commit to having feathers in your hair for about 6 weeks, use your pliers to press down on link. You may need to press multiple times and from different angles to ensure it's position.  And you have now been feathered.

Here's my finished product! I pretty much always keep the one side of my hair behind my ear, so I put my feathers here because they'll show more often. Placement is totally up to, whatever you are comfortable with!

Good Luck!

p.s. - While I was googling, I stumbled across this picture and couldn't resist sharing!
 A dog with feathers - I am judging....
etsy.com



2 comments:

  1. did they cope with being washed okay??

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, washes just like hair. just have to avoid using conditioner on them!

    ReplyDelete